Fresh nutritious dairy foods like milk, cheese and yogurt don’t just taste delicious; they’re good for your body! Dairy foods are the #1 source of calcium in most individual’s daily diet and offer 9 essential nutrients. Milk and dairy products are fresh 365 days a year, making Dairy Month a great time to think about exciting, nutrient rich combinations like creative grilled cheese sandwiches, salads and refreshing desserts.
Join in the fun & deliciousness and celebrate “All Things Dairy” with 15 Food Bloggers from around the country as we celebrate with some of our favorite dairy recipes. Here’s one I think you will really like!
Rich & Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
When it comes to Mac & Cheese, there are so many different variations but none is creamier than this one! And it packs a punch with the addition of Greek yogurt.
The trick to creamy Mac & Cheese is to cook the pasta over a low flame in milk, not in water. You must be very careful to keep the pasta moving by stirring it frequently and to not scorch the milk. Low heat is essential as you want the pasta to absorb most all of the milk. This is not a five minute Mac & Cheese, but more like a twenty-five minute Mac & Cheese. However, you will be rewarded for your patience with an incredibly rich and creamy Macaroni and Cheese that’s sure to please the whole family.
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 cups dried pasta (I like Medium Shells but use whatever shape you'd like.)
- ½ small onion, diced fine
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black (or white) pepper
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. Cayenne pepper
- 1 6-oz. container Greek yogurt
- 1 tbs. butter
- 2 cups grated cheese (A combination of Sharp Cheddar and Gruyere works best)
- In a medium saucepan over very low heat, add the onion, milk and pasta. While stirring frequently, simmer over low heat until the pasta is cooked and most of the milk is absorbed.
- Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, and Cayenne to the milk/pasta mixture.
- Once almost all of the milk is absorbed and the pasta is cooked, add the Greek yogurt, butter and cheese. Stir gently to combine and melt the cheese.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if need be. Serve right away.
See what delicious dairy dishes my Blogging friends are cooking up:
Souffle Bombay – Blueberry Cheesecake Shooters
What The Heck’s A Bonbon? – Strawberry Watermelon Cucumber Granita with Vanilla Lemon Frozen Yogurt
Mind Over Batter – Strawberries and Cream Icebox Cake
Pass The Sushi – Roasted Blueberry Graham Cracker Crumble Frozen Yogurt
We’re Parents – Strawberry Cheesecake Pancakes with Whipped Topping
Little Kitchie – Spinach & Prosciutto Pizza
Sugar Dish Me – Healthy Creamy Summer Pasta
The Vintage Mom – Strawberry Creamsicles & Other Creamy Treats
Real: The Kitchen and Beyond – 11 Grilled Cheese Combinations
Giggles Gobbles & Gulps – 10 Fun Ways To Drink Your Milk
How I Pinch A Penny – Banana Pudding Shooters
An Opera Singer In The Kitchen – Double Cheese Spinach & Mushroom Omelette
It’s A Keeper – 10 Ice Cream & Frozen Treat Recipes
The Suburban Soapbox – The Ultimate Chocolate Martini